Saturday, May 12, 2012

It's a sad, sad night

My trip to Peru in 2004 was one that changed my life in ways that I can't even begin to explain. That trip was the one that really set a fire in my heart for missions, but it was also the trip that helped me the most personally. I had amazing leaders that summer.

Sadly, one of them passed away today. Garrett Coble, along with two other men were killed in a plane crash in Kansas. There were two others, Hannah and Austin who are in the hospital.

When a friend told me about the crash, I thought it was sad. Those things are always sad. It broke my heart that Hannah was involved, but I was glad that she is stable.
Earlier, some time after I heard about the crash, I looked at a link to an article on the crash. The article listed Garrett as having died in the crash. It instantly went from something that is sad that happens sometimes to My God, how could this happen.
Garrett is one of the major reasons that I love missions. He had just gotten engaged. My heart just broke.
I don't understand why this happens. I don't need to understand why it happens. That's not my place. But my heart aches knowing he is gone. and it aches for his fiancee and family. Holy Spirit come and comfort.

My thoughts are jumbled and I don't know what else to say. I am thankful that I know he is in heaven, but it doesn't make me feel any less sad. 

No comments:

Post a Comment