Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Lent- Day 1

Ash Wednesday ushers in the Lenten season. With that comes people "giving up" an assortment of things for Religious reasons in hope to make themselves a better, holier Christian. They seek to mimic Christ's 40 days in the wilderness and prepare themselves for the resurrection of Christ.

However, I'm not sure how Biblical Lent actually is. Read more here.  I am still doing research.

Despite my questions about the roots and validity of this religious practice, I found myself wondering what I was going to give up for Lent. I've never practiced this before. I have always written it off as something that only Catholics do, since that's what I was taught as a child. Many people give up, or fast; meat, media, sweets, coffee, cursing, Facebook, shopping, or even other people/relationships. They give up something that takes up time, causes them to sin, or has been placed before God in their life. My search for something to give up led me to what I feel like is a beautiful challenge from the Lord. 

Our Father challenged me to "take up" rather than "give up" for Lent. 

"What does that look like?" I asked. His reply was odd at first. He lovingly spoke that my words have power and are good. He reminded me that I am worth being heard. The words of my mouth flow from my heart and they are good. He challenged me to rather than giving up something that I do, to take up something new to do. He directed me here. 

It is my goal and commitment to join Him in "taking up" sharing my thoughts, my words, and my heart for this season. I plan to post daily a few lines from my heart. What that looks like, I don't fully know; but I pray for grace to communicate clearly with vulnerability the things that are in my heart to share. I have a good, clean, pure, happy heart that pours out good, worthy, powerful, refreshing words from a deep, fresh well that the Father has dug and I have cultivated. 

Care to join me on this adventure?

No comments:

Post a Comment